WHAT YOUR FOSTER DOG WANTS YOU TO KNOW
When Wish Bone was created in 2009, we pledged to operate a different type of rescue. One of our goals was to make sure that we would always be dog-centered. Our volunteers are critical to our success, but we wanted to make sure that the canines in our care and their needs were always number one. The best thing we can do for our foster dogs is to make sure that they are well cared for, and to find their forever homes as quickly as possible. We also save more lives when dogs move through the rescue quickly and efficiently; other dogs waiting in high-kill shelters can be pulled as the adoptions happen!
We often wonder what our foster dogs would say to us if they could talk. Here is a sampling that might express their desire to be well and find their forever homes as soon as they can:
- When you first pick me up from WBCR, please ask for a wire folding crate if you don't have an extra one. You will need to bring this to all adoption events so that potential adopters can see how beautiful I am.
- I need to be at all adoption events. Events are listed on the WBCR website homepage and the foster fun page, so please keep up with foster happenings. You should arrive 15 minutes in advance of events so that I am ready to be viewed when the public arrives!
- Please fill out a cage card for me before you leave. You can always add some positive comments at the bottom. More personal information might help me find that special someone.
- If you elect to stay, please get a name tag and add MY name! That way you can help me find a home by speaking with the public. Keep it positive! I am a good dog and there is someone out there for every dog!
- I DO need to stay in my cage at events, unless I need to potty. People might not know I need a home if I'm not in there.
- I might like kids, but some foster dogs aren't so sure. Children under 16 cannot carry me around or walk me at events, even if they are part of my foster family. Events can be hectic and I need to stay safe! Parents should always very closely supervise children when they are at events that include children, so that no one gets hurt.
- I need to stay for the entire scheduled event so that the public can see how wonderful I am! If you cannot bring me, please let the foster team know well in advance, so that arrangements can be made for me to attend. Our foster team is there to help!
- Please pick me up within 15 minutes of the events ending time. Some other foster dogs might be tired and ready for supper and bedtime.
- Don't forget the food! Wish Bone doesn't mind if you feed your own brand of food, as long as it is a high quality formula. Please let any adopters/schedulers know what I am eating. If you want food from Wish Bone, just ask! They also have canned formulas if I am not eating well.
- Don't forget to fill out the foster feedback form after you have had me for one week. This will help Wish Bone update my bio and find me just the perfect home for my needs!
- If you can get some really cute updated photos of me in your home, email them to email@example.com
- Always make sure I am wearing my collar and that I have a red WBCR ID tag. Let that foster team know if I need a new collar or tag!
- If I am not feeling well, I am injured, or you see any worms in my stool, please refer to the Foster Care Information Sheet in your blue folder. In fact, it's a good idea to post this on your refrigerator or other conspicuous place so you will have it ready in case I get hurt or something! If you are able, try to call or email the shelter during daytime hours so that the helpful people there can assist.
- Exposure to certain parasites could make me uncomfortable, sick, or I could even die. WBCR has medicine to help me stay well! So PLEASE pick up my heartworm/flea/parasite prevention on the first of the month. WBCR will send you an email reminder one week in advance so you will know if I need this and how to get it!
- If you find yourself becoming attached to me (who wouldn't!) and you might even possibly be interested in adopting me, it is very important that you let the foster team know that you are thinking about keeping me. That way if the processing team gets an application, you can be given first chance at wonderful me!
- Please call or email the foster team if you need anything at all!